Friday, January 23, 2015

Taco Seasoning

I love making turkey tacos as an easy and fast weeknight meal.  One day I was reading the back of a package of taco seasoning and realized that the first ingredients in many taco seasonings is corn starch.  The companies use it as filler to add weight to the packages and I decided I don't need that in my food when I can easily make my own taco seasoning at home.  Here is the recipe I use:


 Taco Seasoning

1 tablespoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (add more if you want it spicier)
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper (or more if you want it spicier or can be left out completely if you want a mild taco)
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon salt (I like sea salt)
1 teaspoon pepper

Put all of the spices in a small bowl and give them a good stir.  All of these measurements are approximate and I just eyeball all of them usually.  I usually store any extra taco seasoning in a little container for next time.


I use between 1/2 and 3/4 of this mixture and about 1 1/4 lbs of ground turkey for my tacos along with some taco shells, chopped up lettuce, a little cheddar cheese, a bit of nonfat greek yogurt and good dose of Tapatio.  If you prefer you can use sour cream but I find that nonfat plain greek yogurt tastes the same as sour cream in these tacos but has fewer calories with more protein.  

An added bonus to making your own taco seasoning is is actually cheaper than buying the packaged stuff at the store.  The whole meal feeds my fiance and I plus another meal of leftovers for about $10 Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment