Sunday, October 7, 2018

Disneyland Halloween Food

I went to Disneyland a couple of weeks ago to see all the Halloween decorations and eat all the Halloween foods.  Decorations post coming soon but today is all about the food!

While not actually in either of the parks there is a Sprinkles Cupcakes in Downtown Disney that had a fun cupcake the weekend I was there.  I flew in in the evening so by the time I got there the parks were about to close so I just wandered around Downtown Disney for a bit my first night.  This cupcake was not a Halloween treat per se but it was still something I had never seen before.  It was a chocolate cupcake with white chocolate balls and pop rocks inside. It was really good with the creamy frosting and the pop rocks!


California Adventure had some really good savory Halloween food options. One of the returning dishes from last year was the Spicy Pepper Jack Cheese Stick at the Corn Dog Castle in California Adventure.  It was as delicious as I remembered it and makes a good snack or smaller lunch. I love cheese, spicy things and corndog batter so this dish is a win win for me.  


Another returning favorite from last year was this Poison Apple-tini with a skull glow cube at Carthay Circle Lounge.  Last year the glow cube was green so now I have a multi-colored collection of glow skulls.  This year you can get the green ones at lots of places around the parks but the only place you can get the purple ones is at Carthay Circle (both the lounge and the restaurant) and since I am purple girl through and through it was a no brainer to get one when I stopped by for lunch. The drink itself is a little bit sweeter than what I normally get but goes down very easily. 


Another Halloween special at Carthay Circle Lounge were these super fun Witches Fingers with Pumpkin Mustard. They were pretzels shaped like fingers with an almond for a finger nail and they were delicious.  They made a great snack in the middle of the afternoon and the mustard was so good that I ran out before I finished the pretzels. 


Carthay Circle Lounge always has a seasonal flatbread on its menu and this fall version had goat cheese, prosciutto mushrooms, broccolini and a few other things on it.  The flatbread was pretty good but the summer one they had was absolutely amazing so this one a little bit of a letdown compared to the summer flatbread.




It addition to the purple skull glow cube Carthay Circle Lounge (and restaurant too) had a purple skull cake pop.  I heard the only make 30 or 40 of them per day so I was excited to get one.  I was even more excited when I found out they were vanilla cake pop since most of the cake pops at Disneyland tend to be chocolate.  I like chocolate and all but I much prefer the vanilla ones when I have a choice. 


All the Halloween foods I tried in Disneyland this year were of the sweet variety. The Mint Julep Bar in Adventureland always has regular beignets and a seasonal flavored one. This year the fall seasonal one was pumpkin spice.  I had high hopes for these because I love pumpkin spiced foods and it was very good but not the best flavor I have ever had.  The honor still goes to the butterscotch ones they had a couple of years ago. The last couple of years the Christmas/holiday flavor has been candy cane so I am curious to see if they change it up this year or not.  After butterscotch the candy cane ones are my second favorite flavor they have had so I would be okay either way.

Not exactly a fall food but the coffee cart near the castle has a rotating menu of fancy doughnuts.  They put them out at park opening and once they are gone they are gone though sometimes a second batch gets put out around 5 PM.  The day I was there they had one with a macaroon, chocolate and Butterfingers on it and one with chocolate, caramel and potato chips on it.  Obviously I chose the one with the chips and it was a good choice because it was super yummy. The salt of the chips gave a nice counter to all the sugar and it looked really cool too.




Not sure if they have done this before but this year there was a gorgeous display in the lobby of the Grand Californian made of sweets. It was huge and super intricate. The lobby of the Grand Californian is a great place to sit and take a break from the heat (or the cold) in the middle of the day and this just made it even nicer.


In addition the the display in the lobby there was also a little treats station set up in the corner of the lobby that sold all kinds of fun Halloween cookies and cookie shots.  Yes, I said cookie shots! They were chocolate chip cookie cups and you could have Bailey, Rumchata or Grand Marnier in or if you wanted a non-alcoholic version they also had milk and chocolate milk. This treat was so good and the cast members manning the treat booth said they thought it would be there at Christmas time too.

I always like to grab a treat to take home with me so the next day when I am going through Disneyland withdrawals I have something to help.  I had been seeing this Maleficent rice crispy treat at all the candy stores and finally grabbed one on my way out of the park since Maleficent is my favorite villein. The chocolate that made her horns was a really good combination with the marshmallow and rice crispy. 
In addition to all the delicious foods there were also all kinds of fun Halloween decorations up at the parks and in Downtown Disney. I will show those in a whole separate post another day soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment