Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Lentils for Dinner

I know the rest of the country is warming up but here in the Bay Area we are finally having a bit of late winter/early spring mild weather.  Yes, I know it is actually almost summer! I was looking though my cabinets over the weekend trying to decide what to cook and I noticed I had 2 different open bags of lentils.  In my defense one bag was red lentils and the other was green lentils.



This is based on a recipe from Rachel Ray.  The original recipe is for supposedly for one person but she tends to be crazy when it comes to portion sizes.  I double the recipe and it makes at least 3 servings, if I am hungry, or 4 regular servings.

1 cup dry lentils (doesn't matter what color)
1 small onion chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves of crushed garlic (divided)
2 inches grated fresh ginger
1 teaspoon cumin
4 cups of chicken or vegetable broth
1 Persian cucumber chopped
2 handfuls of fresh mint, chopped
1 cup greek yogurt
salt and pepper

Heat the olive oil in a sauce pan and add the onion, 1 clove of garlic, ginger and cumin.  Sauté for 3 to 5 minutes and then add the lentils.  Stir to coat the lentils with the onion mixture and then add the broth.  Bring to a boil and let simmer with the top slightly askew for about 20 minutes or until lentils are done.



While the lentils are cooking you can make the topping.  Mix the other clove of garlic, the chopped cucumber, the chopped mint and salt and pepper into the greek yogurt and set it aside to let the flavors meld.



Serve the lentils with the yogurt mix on top and some pita chips or a piece of pita bread (or both) on the side to dip in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment