We are trying to eat a little healthier around here so these stuffed mushrooms are great for this. There is an entire cup of Kale in each mushroom so that is a bonus! The first time I made these my husband came in and said "Hmm what are you cooking? It smells good, like steak." Well, there is no steak in these but they are nice and hearty.
6 cups chopped kale
6 portobello mushrooms
About 10 shitake mushrooms
1/2 lb uncooked bacon
1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese plus extra to sprinkle on top
2 tsps olive oil
- Preheat the over to 400 degrees
- Cook the bacon, drain well and chop into small pieces. Put in large mixing bowl
- Sauté the kale in 1 tsp of the olive oil until it is wilted but not fully cooked. Put in large mixing bowl with the bacon
- Take the stems off of the portobello mushrooms, chop them and the shitake mushrooms into small pieces and set them aside
- Scrape out the insides of the portobello mushrooms and add it to the other mushrooms
- Sauté all of the mushrooms in the other tsp of olive oil until they are mostly cooked.
- Add the mushrooms, breadcrumbs and cheese to the bowl along with the bacon and kale.
- Mix well
- Place each mushroom cap on a foil lined baking sheet and stuff with 1/6th of the mixture
- Bake for 25 minutes
Now before you look at the final product just keep in mind it tastes better than it looks after you cook it. The kale that is on the top gets nice and crunchy but it also turns a not so nice almost black color. Despite the color I promise these mushrooms taste great!