Monday, July 11, 2016

Weekend Wrap-up

After getting back from our wedding in Hawaii (more on that next week) it took me a week or so to get back into the swing of real life without a wedding to plan.

My husband spend much of the holiday weekend helping his brother move so our 4th of July weekend was fairly low key.  One afternoon I took myself to a Mexican restaurant down the street that my husband only grudgingly goes to with me every once in a while. They have a fantastic sangria/margarita swirl drink so of course I had to have one. They are actually not short on alcohol and I had to drive myself home so I could only have one sadly. 
After indulging in lots of delicious foods in Hawaii I have been trying to eat better in my everyday diet. I am still enjoying special foods when I am out and about but trying to eat healthy at home and at work.  Got to find a good balance.  It is berry season so I am loving plain greek yogurt with berries and some mint on top.


With so much going on this summer my sister and I did not buy the whole season ticket this year but we are squeezing in 3 concerts in the month of July before she heads off to law school.  Our first concert was Rascal Flatts last Thursday.  I was not super excited about it being on a Thursday but it turned out ok.  Rascal Flatts was great but it was a fairly unseasonably cold evening so we left before the concert ended. We have our second concert this week so here's hoping for a little bit warmer weather.



Friday I had my yearly eye check up.  The office is about 30 minutes away from work so I left in plenty of time and got there a bit early.  I filled my time in the waiting room by playing with the fun props they had.  I always knew I would look good in teal frames!  All went well with the check up but then I had to drive home in Friday traffic.  It took me 30ish minutes to get there and over an hour to get home. 
After I (finally) got home from the eye doctor my husband and I headed out for dinner at a food truck gathering near our house. Between eating lots of fish in Hawaii and knowing that in a few months I won't be able to eat it so easily I have been trying to get my fill of sushi.  The sushi was good but it was kind of awkward eating sushi in my lap.  I think things in buns or wraps just work better from a food truck.  I had a little frozen yogurt for desert.  My husband had the winner if the night with curry smothered fried chicken over rice.


Saturday morning I got up early to meet my mom for some berry picking.  We usually pick various types of berries but this year the only berries available to pick were blackberries so that is what we picked. We were there on opening day so I didn't know what to expect.  The first two rows we were assigned to pick in where a disappointment so I was worried we wouldn't be going home with many berries.  We quickly picked what we could from our first two rows and then we were assigned a third row.  Third times the charm because this row was full of ripe berries.  Between my mom and I we picked over 20 pounds of blackberries.


A combination of staying up later than normal on Thursday, getting up earlier than I would have liked on Saturday, not getting my endorphin rush on at the gym Friday or Saturday and PMS made me quite tired and grumpy Saturday afternoon. My husband decided to try and cheer my up by asking me out to dinner.  We don't normally eat out twice in one weekend but it was just what I needed. Even though we went to a Japanese restaurant (see the sushi trend here) I decided to have a blue margarita.
Sunday I woke up in a much better mood and headed off to the gym.  I did stuff around the house and made a nice dinner.  I don't normally cook fish but my husband requested it so I have it a try.  It actually turned out pretty well.  We had crusted tilapia, quinoa and baked zucchini for our nice healthy dinner.


With all those fresh berries I couldn't resist making a little sweet treat with them.  I made a blackberry cobbler and topped it with vanilla ice cream.  We ended the weekend curled up on the couch watching a movie and enjoying the cobbler.



No comments:

Post a Comment