Friday, June 5, 2015

Favorite Games

I was raised in a house that was big into board games and card games.  We had a whole cupboard in our hall growing up that was just used to store all of our board games.  We had all the normal 90's kids board games like Candyland, Shoots and Ladders and Clue as well as a few that most of my friends didn't have like Mystery Mansion and Chronology.



My dad's family were always big card game players so I always looked forward to going to visit them and playing cards for hours on end.  As an adult the game we play the most is called Hand and Foot.  A few people in my family are a bit competitive and try to cheat but it is all in good fun. Let me tell you this game is addicting.  My fiancee and I have so much fun playing it that we have taught most of his family how to play and they are addicted too.  Give me some snacks, something to drink and a few decks of cards and I am ready to play.  I am sure my kids will be able to play slapjack before they can talk.

My love of American history started young and I have fond memories of playing Where in the USA is Carmen Sandiego? with my sisters and cousins.  My mom gave away my childhood version of my game while I was away at college but my wonderful sister found it on Ebay a few years ago and gave it to me for my sister.  Some of the questions are a bit outdated now but that doesn't stop me from breaking it out every once in a while to play with friends.



Another game that I love to torture people by making them play is Trivial Pursuit.  I have been making people play this game with me for years and one of my goals in life is to legitimately beat my dad at it.  He sometimes tries to cheat and let me win but mark my words someday I will actually win fair and square. Sometimes my family tries to get out of playing with me because my dad always wins but I can usually get them to play on Christmas since it is my birthday. Over the years I have had a few different versions of Trivial Pursuit but the classic version is still my favorite.

Apples to Apples and Cards Against Humanity (depending on who you are playing with) are always fun with a group of people and my fiancee is fond of Taboo.  I am slowly amassing a collection of board games and I can't wait until we have a house and I can host game nights.  I can just picture us on our patio in the summer drinking wine and playing games.  Here's hoping that vision comes true sometime soon!

I always love suggestions for new games to try!

No comments:

Post a Comment