Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Bacon Bean and Veggie Soup/Stew Thing

Ok so maybe the name of this recipe needs some work but, no matter what you call it, it is delicious.

This can be thrown together with whatever vegetables you happen to have on hand and you can actually use sausage instead of bacon if that is what you have.  Originally I used a whole package of bacon but since I am trying to watch what I eat I have recently been just using 1/2 a package.


Saute 1/2 (or a whole) package of bacon until it is almost cooked.  Don't worry if it is not 100% cooked because it will be added to the other pot later.

Drizzle a little olive oil in a large soup pot and add the carrots, onions and celery (about 1 cup of each) to the pot and cook for about 5 minutes stirring periodically.  Add 2 cloves are garlic and cook for another minute or two.  While the carrots etc are cooking I usually cut up whatever other veggies I am adding.  This time I added 2 zucchini, an eggplant and some mushrooms.  Depending on what other veggies you are using add the ones that take the longest too cook first.  I added the zucchini and eggplant and let it cook with the cover on for about 10 minutes before adding the mushrooms. After I added the mushrooms and let them cook for about 5 minutes I added a couple of good splashes of white wine to deglaze the pan.


After the veggies are mostly cooked I add in 3 drained cans of white beans (or whatever you have on hand), the cooked bacon, a little pepper and a couple of palmfuls of rosemary. Stir to combine everything together and continue to cook until everything is cooked and nice and hot.  This can be eaten alone as a soup/stew or you can add some croutons or pita chips on top for a bit of a crunch.

Happy cooking!

Joining the Recipe Club today and Share your Creativity

No comments:

Post a Comment