Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Baked Potato Soup

Yummm baked potatoes! Potatoes are by far my fiance's favorite starch so we generally have them hanging around our house.  I like them too but I know they are not the most nutrient rich food so I don't eat them too often.

When I found this recipe for a Baked Potato Soup it intrigued me so I decided to give it a try.



Having made it a few times I still vaguely follow the original recipe with a few changes of my own

Ingredients:
2 russest potatoes
1 head of cauliflower
1.5 cups milk (I use 2%)
1.5 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
A couple of palmfuls of chopped chives
1/2 a package of bacon (you can also use turkey bacon)
Shredded cheddar cheese

Cook the potatoes in the microwave but make sure stab them with a fork or you will have a microwave full of exploded potato.  I usually put them on for 5 minutes, flip them over and put them on for 5 minutes and then continue on 2 minute increments until they are cooked

While the potatoes are cooking roughly chop the cauliflower and put them in a big soup pot with about an inch of water to cook.  Steam the cauliflower with the lid on for about 15 to 20 minutes and then drain the water.



Cook and drain the fat off of the bacon while the potatoes and cauliflower cook.  You can also chop the chives while things are cooking.

Roughly chop the potatoes and add them to the pot along with the milk and the chicken broth.  The original recipe says to peel the potato first but I never do.  I like the texture the skin gives the soup.

After the soup has come to a boil let it boil for about 5 minutes and then turn it off.  Use an immersion blender to blend the soup.  Add 1/2 the chives, the greek yogurt, the salt and pepper to the soup and cook for another 10 minutes.



Top the soup with the chives, bacon and a bit of cheddar cheese.  This soup really does taste like a baked potato but since it is half potato and half cauliflower you are getting some extra nutrients as a bonus.


I know this looks like a winter recipe (and it probably technically is) but I had a craving for it the other day and since we have had pretty much no winter here I have no good occasion to make it I decided to just go for it before it got too hot.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I've heard of leek and potato soup before, but not cauliflower and potato so this is a new recipe for me! I like the sound of it - especially once you have topped it off with bacon and cheese - yum!

    ReplyDelete